EBooks, short for “electronic books”, are books with text and images in digital form, that are read on computers or other devices, including smartphones and eReaders. Patrons may use our OverDrive service to download free eBooks, as well as audiobooks, music, and videos, from the library. There are 4 eBook format available from The Ohio Digital Library collection: EPUB eBook, PDF eBook, Kindle Book, & OverDrive Read.
Yes, the library provides access to eBooks through the library’s website. Look for the Enjoy eBooks, audiobooks, music & video button in the left column. This will connect you to the Ohio Digital Library website.
Are all of the books that are currently at the library also available as eBooks?
No. The Ohio Digital Library provides access to thousands of eBook titles, but not every book in the library is available as an eBook title.
What do I need to download the library’s eBooks?
- A valid library card
- A computer
- Internet access
- An e-mail address
- Free software for your computer (available through the Ohio Digital Library website - click on Help for detailed instructions)
- An eBook reader, such as a Kindle or Nook (this is optional - most eBooks can be downloaded on your computer if you do not have an eReader)
Can I download eBooks using library computers?
No. EBooks (EPUB, PDF, or Kindle eBook) cannot be downloaded using library computers due to software issues, but they can be downloaded in the library using your own computer. However, any OverDrive READ eBook can be streamed through a web browser on any library computer.
What is an eReader?
An eReader is a portable electronic device used to read books in digital form (eBooks).
What eReader devices work with the library's eBooks?
There is an ever-growing list of supported devices. For the most current information, visit the Help page on the Ohio Digital Library website.
What types of eBooks does the library offer?
There are 4 types of eBooks available: Adobe PDF, Adobe EPUB, Kindle Books, and OverDrive READ. Kindle Books are only available for Kindle devices or devices with the Kindle Reading App. Adobe EPUB eBooks are available for all eReaders, excluding the Kindle. Adobe PDF eBooks are available for all eReaders except Kindle, Andriod, Blackberry, iPhone, iPad, iPad2, iPod Touch, and Windows Phone 7. OverDrive READ allows you to read eBooks in a web browser on any computer with a modern web browser.
Does the library have eReaders I can borrow?
No. The library does not lend eReaders at this time.
Can I request a title to be added to the library's digital collection?
Yes. Please fill out the form to suggest a title, series, subject, etc. to add to the Ohio Digital Library at https://library.ohio.gov/suggest-a-purchase/.
- On your home computer or laptop, go directly to http://www.adobe.com/solutions/ebook/digital-editions.html. Select Download and select Download Digital Edition 4.5 Windows (or select Macintosh for Apple computer). Select Run and wait for Adobe Digital Editions to download. Accept the terms in the License Agreement, the click Next. Select Install and the software will open automatically when finished installing to your computer.
- Within the Adobe Digital Editions, select the Help tab and then select Authorize Computer. Select Create an Adobe ID and fill in each required field to create an Adobe ID. Select Create. It's a one-time, free process that takes just a few minutes to complete. Return to Adobe Digital Editions and enter your newly created Adobe ID and select Authorize.
- Go to the Ohio Digital Library website (ohdbks.lib.overdrive.com) and browse the Library's digital collection for an eBook. Filter search results by format, select EPUB eBook or PDF eBook. When you find a book you would like to checkout, select Borrow to check it out. (If an item is unavailable to download, select Place a Hold. You will receive an e-mail when the title becomes available to download.) After you borrow your book, go to your Loans page. Select the Choose a Format button and select EPUB eBook or PDF eBook format. Pop-up box will appear and select Open. The eBook will open in Adobe Digital Editions and you're ready to start reading the eBook on your computer.
- For eReader users. Plug your eReader device (such as Nook, Sony, or Kobo eReaders) into your computer by USB port. Once connected your device will appear in the library of Adobe Digital Editions. Select the book and drag it over to your device's folder. Release when the red circle becomes a green plus. The book will start transferring to the device. Once finished, unplugged your device from your computer and you're ready to start reading the eBook on your eReader.
How to return an EPUB eBook/PDF eBook early in Adobe Digital Editions?
Open Adobe Digital Editions on your computer, right click on the eBook and select Return Borrowed Item. Note: Open EPUB eBooks cannot be returned early due to licensing agreement.
Note: If you're using an older NOOK tablet, like a NOOK Color or Tablet, you can no longer install the OverDrive app on your device. Instead, you can transfer eBooks to your NOOK with Adobe Digital Editions on your computer.
- On your device, go to the app store, search for OverDrive and select app. Install app to your device. Your app store may ask for your ID and password.
- Optional: Sign up for an OverDrive Account. An OverDrive account allows you to keep bookmarks and reading or listening position in sync across multiple devices, as well as allowing you to save libraries and searches. Select Sign up. Enter your name and e-mail address twice and then create a password for your account. Select Sign up. If you are not interested in an OverDrive Account, select Continue.
- Next, select Add a Library. Enter your zip code in the search box and select a Clark County Public Library location. Select the Ohio Digital Library, the app will redirect to the Ohio Digital Library website to begin browsing. Sign in with your library card number and password.
- Browse the Library's digital collection for an eBook. Filter search results by format, select EPUB eBook. When you find a book you would like to checkout, select Borrow to check it out. (If an item is unavailable to download, select Place a Hold. You will receive an e-mail when the title becomes available to download.) After you borrow your book, select go to your Loans page. Select the Choose a format button and select EPUB format. Select Add to app. The item will download to your Bookshelf on the OverDrive Media Console App.
- Open the app's Home menu and select Bookshelf. When the download is complete, select the book cover to start reading.
How to return EPUB eBook early in the OverDrive Media Console App?
Open the OverDrive Media Console App on your tablet, go to Bookshelf. Newer version of the app, hold down on the ebook cover and select Return to Library. Older version of the app, select plus sign and select Return/Delete. Note: Open ePUB eBooks cannot be returned early due to licensing agreement.
- For non-Kindle devices, go to your app store on your device. Search for Kindle. Select and download the Kindle Reading app to your device. Wait for app to download, select Open when finished. Register the Kindle Reading App with your Amazon account e-mail and password.
- Next, open a web browser and go to the Ohio Digital Library website. Sign in with your library card number and password. (For Kindle eReaders, use a computer instead of the eReader's experimental web browser. EReaders has limited internet capabilities. Most eReaders cannot open multiple web browser tabs at the same time. You may be able to browse the Ohio Digital Library collection but you may experience difficulties during the checkout process.)
- Browse the Library's digital collection for an eBook. Filter search results by format, select Kindle Book. When you find a book you would like to checkout, select Borrow to check it out. (If an item is unavailable to download, select Place a Hold. You will receive an e-mail when the title becomes available to download.)
- After you borrow your book, go to your Loans page. Select the Choose a format button and select Kindle Book format. Select Get Kindle Book. From there you will be directed to Amazon.com to complete checkout.
- Once directed to Amazon.com, select Get Library Book and enter your Amazon account e-mail and password. Select which Kindle device or Kindle Reading App to deliver the book. The item will be automatically delivered to your Kindle device or Kindle Reading App next time it connects to Wi-Fi.
How to return Kindle eBooks early?
Go to your Account on Amazon.com. Select Manage Your Content and Devices. In your Kindle Library, select the Actions button for the book you wish to return and select Return This Book.
- Go to the Ohio Digital Library website. Sign in with your library card number and password.
- Browse the Library's digital collection for an eBook. Filter search results by format, select OverDrive READ. When you find a book you would like to checkout, select Borrow to check it out. (If an item is unavailable to download, select Place a Hold. You will receive an e-mail when the title becomes available to download.)
- After you borrow your book, go to your Loans page. Select Read Now button. If you decided to download the title first, the "Read Now" option will still be available.
- The eBook will open in a new tab in your browser ready to read. Bookmark the link for easy access. If you forget to bookmark the book, you can always return to your bookshelf on The Ohio Digital Library website to access the eBooks again. Your eBook will sync so you won't lose your place. (Note: Some OverDrive Read eBooks are labeled "Read-along" and these titles play professionally recorded narration in sync with the text. When you borrow a Read-along eBook, select the Start narration button at the bottom of the page to begin the audio.)
How to return OverDrive Read eBooks early?
Go to the Ohio Digital Library website. Open your bookshelf and select the Return Title button next to the eBook. If the Return Title button has disappeared, the book has already been downloaded to a particular format. You'll need to use the OverDrive app or Adobe Digital Editions software to return it.